The former margarine factory is located on Nassaukade in a prominent spot along the river Maas, which cannot be missed due to the striking giant peanut butter pots. From 1891, entrepreneur Samuel van den Berg started building the factory complex here, which grew into Unilever’s 24,000-square-metre production site. Recently, the factory was sold and thus stopped producing Blue Band and Calvé, among other products. In the coming years, this site will transform into ‘De Kaai’, a place to live, work and experience along the river Maas. Developer VORM, together with architects Mecanoo, will present the first design: the ambition is to realise around 1,200 homes here in a lively urban environment. An expert guide will take you through the factory complex, and even on top of the roof during this tour.
- The tour will bring you to the roof of the former Unilever factory
- The tour is therefore not suitable for people who are afraid of heights.
- There are many small and steep stairs up and down.
- The tour is not suitable for children under 16.
- The visit is at your own risk.